Anesthesia Error Lawsuits in Tennessee
Call Our Nashville Anesthesia Malpractice Lawyers
Anesthesia is a vital part of any surgery, but it requires constant monitoring and clear communication between all members of the surgical team. Medication errors and mistakes on the part of an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist can result in serious long-term injury, coma, and even death.
Why We Are Qualified to Help
- Two Board-Certified Medical Malpractice Specialists on staff
- More than 150 years of combined experience
- Award-winning counsel and national recognition
- Record-setting medical malpractice verdict for past client
- Knowledgeable, effective, and caring
Types of Anesthesia Administered
Doctors commonly employ the use of anesthesia when a patient goes through surgery or any major medical procedure. Anesthetic agents inhibit pain receptors and generally work in such a way as to numb the anesthetized.
Anesthesiologists use three main forms of anesthesia:
- Local anesthesia – The drug blocks transmission of certain nerve impulses to a specific area of the body or spinal cord. This stops that part from feeling sensation and pain.
- Sedation – This form of anesthesia limits the transmission of nerve impulses between the limbic system and the cerebral cortex. Sedation suppresses anxiety and long-term memory formation for a brief period.
- General anesthesia – Anesthetic agents suppress the entire central nervous system and render the patient unconscious. Doctors will use this for more complicated and major procedures.
While anesthesia contains inherent risks, some injuries and pain are avoidable. If you were hurt because of the drug, it can be difficult to determine whether it was a complication that could not be helped or case of medical malpractice. At Kinnard Law, we want to protect you from anesthesia errors. If you were injured, you may be eligible for compensation.
Normal Complications from Anesthesia
Anesthesia as a drug is not foolproof. While it works well for the majority of the time, there are moments where complications can arise. Our Nashville anesthesia malpractice lawyers can help you understand if your injuries are the result of malpractice or normal complications.
Examples of anesthesia complications include:
- Damage to the larynx or sore throat
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia, with no prior history
- Nausea and vomiting
- Anesthesia awareness (gaining consciousness during procedure)
- Hearth attack
- Post-operative pain
How Does Anesthesia Malpractice Occur?
Negligence or miscommunication between doctors, nurses, and anesthesiologists can increase the risk of receiving the wrong medication during a hospital stay. Prescribing and administering a drug that is contraindicated, due to a patient's medical history or a potential drug interaction or another type of side effect, can be the basis of a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Examples of medical malpractice with anesthesia error:
- Failing to monitor the patient properly, during and after the surgery
- Administering the wrong dosage of anesthesia
- Improperly intubating patient
- Not monitoring the patient’s oxygen levels
- Not properly informing and advising the patient before the surgery
If an individual sustains injury because of anesthesia errors, they can hold either the hospital or the anesthesiologist responsible. If the anesthesiologist is employed by the hospital, than the medical facility will automatically be held accountable. If the anesthesiologist is an independent contractor, than they will have to answer for the injuries and mistakes.
What to Do After Suffering a Medication Error
If you suspect that you or a loved one suffered injury due to a medication error, there are some important steps that you can take right away. Do not throw away any medications or documentation of the anesthesia or medicine you received in the hospital-these may be important evidence in your case.
Also, be sure to save receipts or records that can help our investigators establish a paper trail to prove medication error. Finally, contact an experienced medical malpractice lawyer at Kinnard Law immediately.
Give Us a Call Now: (615) 933-2893.
If you suffered a serious injury or lost a loved one due to anesthesia malpractice, medication error, or pharmaceutical mistake, contact our offices today. Our caring anesthesia error lawyers in Nashville are always ready to help you fight for the justice and compensation you are owed.
We know that medical malpractice issues can lead to serious suffering and damages. That is why we bring together a team of legal professional, investigators, and medical experts to ensure you have the strongest case possible.
Medical Malpractice - 62 Year Old Woman $22.2 Million
Medical Malpractice - Largest Verdict in Weakley County History $15.2 Million
Medical Malpractice - Davidson County $6.5 Million
Wrongful Death of 22 Month Old $5 Million
Medical Malpractice - 24 Year Old College Student $4 Million
Wrongful Death - 16 Year Old Boy $3 Million
Medical Malpractice 54 Year Old Woman $2.6 Million
Medical Malpractice - Woman Loses an Organ $2 Million
Medical Malpractice - 47 Year Old High School Principal $2 Million
Medical Malpractice - Middle Tennessee State University Girl's Basketball Coach $2 Million
Integrity, above and beyond- H.W.
In the hardest two years of my life, you provided the utmost trust, comfort, and support.- T.H.
We are very grateful.- E.I.
Great staff.- J.
100% Best Lawyers Around- J.S.